Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions Version 2.0 for CERN
Read this file in conjunction with the README
file that came with the release. Start with the README file
and refer here for installation instructions and server-specific issues.
The FrontPage Server Extensions have been tested with CERN
We recommend downloading the precompiled binaries from the
World Wide Web Consortium (http://www.w3.org
Download the file httpd_3.0_bin.platform.tar.Z where platform
is the name of your machine/OS. This is a compressed tar file
containing a single directory. Precompiled binaries for BSDi are available
NOTE: login(1) or su(1) to become the FrontPage user (the
owner of all content and configuration files) before performing
the following steps.
- Untar the release. For example, if you have space under
the /www directory:
zcat /usr/tmp/httpd_3.0_bin.platform.tar.Z | tar xvf -
- Create a content directory to hold your web pages, for
- Edit /www/cern_httpd_3.0/config/httpd.conf from the
- a. Change the directory mapping to refer to your
cern_httpd_3.0 directory. This affects the
following three lines:
#Exec /cgi-bin/* /your/script/directory/*
Exec /cgi-bin/* /www/cern_httpd_3.0/cgi-bin/*
#Pass /* /local/Web/*
Pass /* /www/cern_httpd_3.0/content/*
(The commented out line is the original.
Replace each with the one shown after it.)
- Change the UserId and GroupId lines to reflect
your FrontPage user and group.
- If you do not want the server to run the default
port 80, modify the Port line.
- FrontPage wizards and templates use
"index.htm" as the file name for welcome
files. You should add the following line so the
server will recognize them.
- If you currently have no Welcome statements, you
should also add the following lines to reinstate
the default behavior:
- Start the HTTP server. If your server uses a protected
port, use the following command line from a root shell.
/www/cern_httpd_3.0/bin/httpd -r /www/cern_httpd_3.0/config/httpd.conf
- If you want the server automatically restarted when the
system reboots, add the server start command to the appropriate
/etc/rc file. Be sure to wrap it with "su www -c
'umask 022 ; ...'" if necessary.
CERN Server Issues
- When installing the FrontPage server extensions, the
FrontPage server administrator will ask for the name of your
configuration file. Give the name of your httpd.conf